Friday 13 November 2015

Paris and The Paris of the Middle East

I’m not usually considered as a sensitive person, maybe that’s because not many things are all that important to me. I’m not passionate about many things, but I am passionate about the following:
-          My faith
-          My family and friends
-          My country
Today’s post is in relation to the three. I woke up to some bad news yesterday morning. Overnight a pair of suicide bombings struck southern Beirut, Lebanon. It or I should say “they” killed 40 people and left at least another 200 others wounded. Then the following day I learned even more tragic news about another terrorist attack in Paris, France. Killing at least 153 people and leaving many more injured.
It’s safe to say more than anything, I am enraged.

I’m not scared.

I’m not worried.

I am sorry.

I’m sorry that such beautiful countries with the most amazing culture can’t seem to catch a break.

I’m sorry Lebanon has to suffer because the pathetic countries surrounding it don’t know how to play nice.

I’m sorry that people had to die as a result of a pathetic group of people’s, (suspected to be members of ISIS) beliefs in extremist ideals of a religion that supposedly screams “peace!”
I’m sorry for the families of these people, I’m sorry for the wounded and more than anything I’m sorry to the people who aren’t fazed by such a disgusting act of terrorism, because it’s just “typical Arab politics”

I am sorry for Paris, I pray for Paris.

But Lebanon, I am more than sorry for you. I’m heartbroken for you.
Lebanon and the Lebanese people don’t deserve to be associated with what I can only describe as the scum that the majority of the Middle East has become. We are not a dirty people, we are a people of culture, of traditions, of passions, of love and of peace.

I am sorry for Lebanon because their “government” never gave them a chance.

I am sorry for Lebanon because while France has declared state of emergency, Lebanon has yet to do a single thing about the atrocity.

I am sorry for Lebanon because the media over-looks them, undermines its suffering and has no compassion for their suffering.

I am sorry for Lebanon because this is NOT Lebanon. This is not what our country is about.


We are the country of the greatest
Saints, home of the Cedar trees (referred to in the bible multiple times) the manufacturers of the alphabet, and we are the country most associated with the phoenix -- and for good reason. With over a total of ten wars, multiple corrupt governments and needless attacks on our great city coming from all other surrounding countries, Lebanon and the Lebanese have fallen and come back up, time and time again. We have rebuilt, we have risen again, we have never given up and we have faced a hell that was forced onto us and you know what? After all the injustices, all the drama and all the reasons to give up and back down, Lebanon has never and WILL NEVER back down. Why? Because we are a people of faith, of friendship and of family. We are a people of compassion and for as long as the greatest Saints who have ever graced this land are standing with us, it doesn’t matter what evil stands against us. God will always prevail and that belief has been embedded deep into the core of our hearts and we live never in fear, sure of this one thing. God will prevail, Lebanon will never die.

No comments:

Post a Comment